My campaign to be your Ward 4 Local Councillor is just beginning. We have lots to do between now and October 24, 2022 – the day you decide who will represent you in Ward 4.
For now, please know I am interested in learning what issues concern you and your family – especially if you recently moved into the Ward 4 communities of Newcastle- Orono-Newtonville.
PLEDGE YOUR SUPPORT FOR JIM ABERNETHY
DO YOU KNOW HOW TO VOTE IN THIS MUNICIPAL ELECTION?
Voting is happening differently than it has for past elections. Make sure you are informed on the different ways that you can vote.
MEET JIM ABERNETHY
Cathy, my spouse of 45 years and I were raised with strong family values in small rural GTA communities which experienced the effects of rapid growth. Our two sons have made Ward 4 home to their families.
Prior to serving as Mayor of Clarington 2006-2010, I enjoyed three successful careers and gained a strong business background as a corporate executive and later as an entrepreneur.
The first was that of a Golf Course Superintendent, including the position Assistant Superintendent at The National Golf & Country Club in Woodbridge.
My second career was real estate sales north of Toronto in the areas of Vaughan, Caledon, and King with A.E. LePage. This led to a junior management position and later to the position of Vice President & Regional Manager with Royal Lepage Real Estate Services Ltd.
I left Royal LePage to found a family business. Under my leadership as President & CEO, the Ste. Anne’s Pure Spring Water Company grew into the 4th largest bottled water company in the GTA. We sold the business to the Danone Group in 1999. The sale allowed me the opportunity to retire and work closely with our sons who developed their own businesses.
In 2006, I entered the political arena and was successful in my first campaign to become the Mayor of Clarington. During my four-year term as Mayor and CEO, I applied all of the knowledge and experience that I gained towards managing the municipality as a business.
Since then, I have utilized my real estate license which I have held for a long as Cathy and I have been married. I am currently a registered Real Estate Broker with Royal Service Real Estate Inc.
I enjoy travelling, landscape & gardening projects (big or small) and playing golf.
My role as Mayor of Clarington and Regional Councillor for the Region of Durham allowed me to gain considerable knowledge about the relationships between our various levels of governments and community stakeholders; the issues related to long term community planning & development, municipal waste, nuclear waste, nuclear energy, and other innovative forms of energy generation.
I have a good working knowledge of many Ontario Provincial laws and statutes including: Ontario Municipal Act, Environmental Assessment Act, Farming & Food Production Protection Act, Waste Diversion Act, Clean Water Act, Conflict of Interest Act, Ontario Planning and Development Act, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation Act, Places to Grow Act, Greenbelt Act, Oak Ridges Moraine Protection Act, Real Estate and Business Brokers Act, Residential Tenancies Act and others.
Education & Certifications,
Past Boards &
Memberships in Organizations:
• Langstaff SS – Richmond Hill, Ontario
• University of Guelph – Guelph, Ontario
• Turfgrass Management Diploma Program 1971
• Canadian Golf Superintendents Association
• Member Ontario Real Estate Association 1977
• Real Estate Council of Ontario – Real Estate Brokers Licence (registered since 1977)
• Member of Real Estate Boards of Toronto, Brampton, Belleville/Quinte, and Oshawa
• Member of both Ontario & Canadian Bottled Water Associations
• Director -Veridian Corporation (Elexicon Energy)
• Member – Canadian Association Nuclear Host Communities (CANHC)
• Mayor & CEO – Municipality of Clarington
• Durham Regional Councillor & Member Durham Region Finance Committee
• Member- Rotary International Club of Woodbridge, Belleville, Oshawa, and Bowmanville
• Member of Bowmanville Hospital Foundation Fund Development Committee
• Publisher/Editor – Clarington Promoter
Cathy and I were raised with strong family values in small rural GTA communities. We raised our family in Ward 4 with those same values. I will be your Voice and your Vote on Clarington Council.
These are my priorities:
1. SPEND your tax dollars wisely.
2. SUPPORT the Bowmanville Hospital Expansion by ensuring the Province of Ontario fulfills their commitment to re-build our hospital.
3. DIRECT Staff to revise the Clarington Zoning By-law so all property owners have clarity in what they can do on their land, AND ensure that no changes to the Zoning By-law will be approved without proper consultation and notification to property owners.
4. REDUCE layers of municipal bureaucratic red tape to streamline the application/permit approval process.
PLANS FOR TOWNHALL
MY FOUR PRIORITIES
TAX DOLLARS AT WORK
TAKE ACTION AND SUPPORT JIM ABERNETHY
VOLUNTEER ON THE CAMPAIGN
Will you join us?